National Poison Prevention Week raises awareness of poison prevention nationwide during the third full week of March every year. The week is an opportunity to highlight the dangers of poisonings for people of all ages and promote community involvement in poisoning prevention.
The National Poison Prevention Week Planner below will help you plan and implement activities to raise awareness of poison prevention during the third full week of March each year.
- Promoting your National Poison Prevention Week events (PDF - 192 KB)
- Media advisory template (PDF - 144 KB)
- Press release template (PDF - 140 KB)
- How to distribute radio public service announcements (PDF - 150 KB)
- Proclamation guide (PDF - 151 KB)
Share our message
- Contact your local poison center by calling 1-800-222-1222 to find out what activities they may already be planning in your area and how you can help.
- Download our #MakeTheRightCall social media campaign assets (ZIP - 5.5 MB) and share on your social media channels.
- Consider asking other organizations to take up the cause with you (your poison center may have relationships with other local organizations that can help). With combined resources, you can reach a wider audience.
- Post general facts about poisoning and poison center resources on your website and link to the Poison Help site to provide your community with additional information.
- Distribute poison facts to businesses, schools, and other community groups, and encourage them to share this information with others.
- Hold a brown bag lunch at work to educate coworkers and your employer about potential workplace poisoning risks.
- Engage with us on social media. Like, comment, and share our poison prevention posts.
As you begin planning, contact your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 to learn how you can support existing activities in your community.
In 1961, Congress established National Poison Prevention Week to raise awareness, reduce unintentional poisonings, and promote poison prevention. It is sponsored by the National Poison Prevention Week Council. Each year, the Council holds a children's artwork contest to raise awareness about poisons. Additionally, poison centers across the country conduct activities to raise awareness of the dangers of poisoning.